9.13.2010

ratatouille

With all of the gorgeous vegetables from our CSA baskets, I decided to make ratatouille yesterday. I made a roasted version a couple of years ago that I'm having a hard time remembering, but this one is stovetop, and it's pretty delicious. The recipe is from a cookbook that I've had for a long time and really enjoy; 1000 Vegetarian Recipes. Although we're not vegetarian, we rarely eat meat - maybe once or twice a week.

I think this would be really good on garlicky, buttery toast. Other suggested uses are over a starch, and/or topped with melted cheese. Yum!

Ratatouille
from 1000 Vegetarian Recipes by Carol Gelles
Makes 6 1/2 cups

2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups diced eggplant
1 cup red bell pepper chunks
1/2 cup green bell pepper chunks (I omitted these, since we can't eat them)
3 cups tomato wedges
2 cups sliced zucchini
1 cup sliced yellow squash
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup red wine
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crumbled
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried sage
2 tsp red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

In 6-quart pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onions and garlic; cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add eggplant and bell peppers, cook about 4 minutes, until softened.

Add tomatoes, zucchini, squash, parsley, wine, tomato paste, sugar, basil, rosemary, thyme, and sage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the vinegar, salt, and pepper. Simmer 5 minutes.
All in all, this is a yummy way to eat up some of these beautiful late-summer market veggies. I think that the oven might be a gentler way to make this, so I think that next time (which might end up being next week!) I might try this one from Mark Bittman. I also whipped up a batch of salsa this weekend, along with piles of apple butter. I love this time of year!

It was a day of firsts for us - T had his first cereal (loved it, and no adverse reactions) and P went to his first morning of preschool (also loved it). Hope your week is starting off well, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!