9.04.2010

earl and salsa

So, Earl brought us some wind and rain, giving my tomatoes a jaunty list and tipping over a clematis, but it missed us for the most part. We didn't even lose power! The sun has even peeked out a few times since noon, so I'm happy to report that Adam might be able to get some snazzy outdoor wedding pictures today. Surrounding Halifax, though, they've had a lot more damage.

In other news, I made some salsa yesterday. I visited the Thursday evening market (by myself, with both boys - that is not going to happen again!) and got a bazillion pounds of tomatoes. Will a tiny little air pocket like this have the capacity to harbour botulism? I seem to have missed it. When I checked the other jars, I found a couple more. All of the jars are sealed properly, though. Hrm.
So, I hope that you're having a good weekend, wherever you are, and that none of your trees are downed.

4 comments:

  1. Salsa is something I want to make... hopefully this year. We had 8 tomato plants this year. I gave tomatoes away, canned 8 jars this afternoon and have about another 8 to do in a few days...and still have a lot of green ones on the vines. I am canning as many as possible. I haven't bought canned tomatoes in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vickie, I'm so jealous that you haven't had to buy any canned tomatoes! I'm thinking that next summer, I'm going to try canning a whole lot, whole or diced, to get us thorough a lot of the winter. We use SO many tomatoes in soups, stews, and just about every other thing you can imagine. I might buy another pile this week at the market - once they're ready to jar, they don't seem to make as much as it looks like they should! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9/10/2010

    If you are unsure about how well the jars seal, I would throw those one's in the fridge and eat them first. Raegan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9/10/2010

    ohhhh and I was finally able to post a comment. Yippie Doodles!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!