12.16.2009

recipe-a-week #38: Molly's banana bread

Since I've been instructed to relax, I have been.
This banana bread is fantastic. I'm re-reading A Homemade Life, and this is the banana bread recipe, minus the ginger and chocolate. For banana bread, I like it straight and cold, with a generous slather of butter (what isn't better with butter?). And this one is amazing - I think the yogourt helps the texture; and the crust is lovely straight out of the oven. The recipe is in this post; I made it almost as is, except I omitted the ginger and chocolate, and I doubled the recipe, too. One entire loaf was gone within a day (entirely consumed by us, mostly me), and the other one is in the freezer for when company's here over the holidays.

Happy Wednesday!

5 comments:

  1. You and P. look very comfy and the banana bread... mmmmmm, yummy. I love banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12/17/2009

    What a cozy scene with you, P, and the tree! I'll have to take a look at this banana bread recipe. I have several variations in my stash, and am looking to improve upon them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading the same book! I'm about 2/3 of the way through, and I've made the prunes and the chocolate cupcakes. Banana bread is one of my favourites too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some folks put cream cheese on banana bread -- I haven't tried it. Sounds like an odd combo. Bring on the sweet 'n' salty buttah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bobble - isn't it a nice read? I love that you can read a chapter or the whole thing, and ponder over the reicpes. :) This is definitely one of the better banana breads I've ever had, though - it's not too wet and gooey or dry and drab. Perfectly in the middle. If I remember correctly, though, now that I think of it, I think I had to bake it a bit longer, but that could just be my oven. How were the prunes? I'm curious about them.

    Goatmeal - I don't think I've ever heard of cream cheese on banana bread. Must be one of those strange American habits. :)

    Oh, and did anyone notice the giant green ornament on the floor? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!