12.09.2009

recipe-a-week #37: cranberry shortbreads (yes, more cookies!) and free Sirius 30-day trial!


Thanks to Adam for taking those first two pictures - by the time I get home from work, it's getting dark. I've done my own take on Martha's Rum-Raisin Shortbread cookie recipe and modified it so I could use up some dried cranberries I had on hand, and avoid killing a friend with a citrus allergy (the original calls for orange zest). Firstly, (and of course, most importantly) they're extremely pretty - the cranberries make these look like the holidays. They also have a perfect crumbly texture, they're super easy, they're delicious, and best of all, you can make the dough ahead of time! I think I'm going to try modifying them a bit more, so I can leave out the coconut. But since I participated in a lovely cookie exchange last night and came home with 5 dozen cookies, I really don't need to make any more cookies in the near future.

Cranberry Shortbreads

Makes about 4 1/2 dozen

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (I had and used salted and omitted the extra salt)
  • 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon + 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt
  1. Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low. Add flour, coconut, and salt, and beat for 3 minutes. Stir in cranberries by hand.
  2. Form dough into 2 logs, each about 1 1/2 inches in diameter; wrap in parchment, and refrigerate 1 hour (or up to 3 days).
  3. Preheat oven to 325. Remove parchment. Slice logs into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, and space about 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment. Bake until pale golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Enjoy!

Speaking of Martha, I keep forgetting to tell you that before December 15, you can sign up for a free 30-day trial of online Sirius radio listening! I have a Sirius radio in the car, and since I drive so much for work, I really appreciate it. I almost always have the Martha channel (112) on, and now is a perfect time for a free trial - you can get good holiday recipe and decorating ideas, and when you're not listening to one of the shows on Martha, you can listen to one of the many holiday music channels - my favourite is channel 4 - it makes nice background music for holiday puttering or entertaining. And if you like news, sports, international stuff, or just about anything else you can think of, you have 120 channels to choose from. Okay, have I talked it up enough? Go here to take advantage, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh My Goodness Sherrie! These are absolutely divine! For the last 2 weeks (I kid you not) we have had these every other day! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!