11.27.2009

homey


I cleaned out the wood box and the area around the wood stove after work today, and came up with a new way to use this nifty antique crock thing I picked up awhile ago. Without the lid on, it's perfect for holding kindling! I'm not quite sure what to do with the lid in the meantime, so it's kind of sitting there. Which looks nice in its own way, too.
Speaking of looking nice, check this out! (The soap dispenser - not so much the hilarious fake tile backsplash behind our bathroom sink. Enough said about that!) I came across this Etsy shop a little while ago, where the very friendly sellers modify original lids on vintage Ball jars to make them into soap dispensers! Since it's a glass jar, I had to get it. In fact, I bought two and am using one for hand sanitizer. You can see the other available ones they have here, and you can also buy just the lid, if you have a jar on hand already. I love the size of these jars, though - they're not too big and not too small.

I'm going to have a bit of time to myself this weekend (yay!) and I have some soapy experiments and secret Christmas concocting to work away on. One of my plans is to try making liquid soap with potassium hydroxide, which I have never done before. I'm also hoping to re-try felted soap and whipped soap, while I'm at it. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. Sherrie, you don't need luck... your soap is already so beautifully made. Bought another bar at Yarmouth Naturals tonight when I picked up my Green Beaver products.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited that you are going to try making liquid soap! I loved the Simple Simon bars, but I often just bring one of the babes in the shower with me instead of putting them in the bath, so bar soap is to tricky to handle at the same time as a squirmer. Let me know when the liquid is ready for ordering! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherrie,

    I LOVE the picture you took of our soap dispenser! Thanks for mentioning it. It looks happy in your home. :) And I'm eager to try some of your liquid soap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those soap dispensers! Thanks for introducing us to this hidden gem:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love all of those pics. the kindling pot is lovely...and THAT etsy shop...made me go all gooey! i bet after this post they end up with a few more shop lovers...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!