4.15.2011

friday finds

It won't be long before the apple blossoms are, well, blossoming! I've had a busy week (what else is new?)  and am happy to be looking forward to some quiet time spent catching up on my favourite blogs this weekend. It seems like everyone starts to get really busy at this time of year. I'm judging that by the number of community notices posted on the bulletin board at my office. And by the number of unread items in my Reader feed.

So, on to an assortment of things that have caught my attention this week.

My new running mantra: No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch. I say that not because I want to feel better than anyone else, but because it reminds me that I'm actually doing something. Yay! I'll never look like her; I'm just not built that way. And although she's beautiful, that's fine with me.

Pssst. Have a look at this. It's true!




It's definitely worth taking twenty minutes to watch this (and I don't usually say that.) So mark this post as unread if you need to, and come back later, when you have the time. If only to feel like you're in a conference room with those nice water glasses with fresh ice in them and those cushy chairs with the rounded back and brushed bronze finish. Really, though - it's about vulnerability and how it relates to happiness and feeling fulfilled. Great stuff.

Look at these. Yes, it's worth clicking through. The prettiest, sweetest-looking treat.

This looks like it would be a potatoey hit in our house. Easy, and pretty, too!

Need to make a giant pom-pom? Or two?

I'm not a doctor, nor a scientist, nor a researcher. Nor a conspiracy theorist, for that matter. I do have a lot of sense, though. And I think that fats like butter have been made out to be evil, probably for the most part by companies standing to make gobs of money selling margarine. And I think that diets in general and reducing foods to their components is a bad thing. I'm with Michael Pollan. All of that to say, here are some thoughts on fats. (I don't use lard, but butter and olive oil are the other, less-mentioned permanent residents of our home. Incidentally, they're also pretty much the only ones that A can digest.)

A super-comprehensive post with links to recipes for making all kinds of kitchen staples for yourself. I'm going to really dig into that one tonight.

Love this kitchen sink. Modern, clean, and farmhousey. And those backsplash tiles are gorgeous.

I have some minimal Easter decorating that I want to accomplish this weekend. It involves ditch-searching for pussy willows. I saw some on the highway last weekend, but it's too far to drive just to find them. I have another spot to look, and I think I'll head there after supper.

I am lucky enough to have some time to myself this weekend, and I have a long list of things I'm hoping to tackle. But I'm also trying to convince myself that I don't need to spend every minute 'doing'. Which is so hard for me to do! (Or not to do, I guess.) I have 29 (just thought of something else - 30!) things on my list, and most of them have more than one component. Let's be realistic, Sherrie.

I hope that you have a fulfilling, relaxing, happy weekend.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for the link to the pantry staples. I have been slowly doing more and more of this sort of thing, but your link is inclusive of most that I would like to be doing.

    (thanks, too, for the reminder for willow branches!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that I'll make potato streudels or lemonade cakes, but they looked wonderful! Michael Pollan almost always has wise words. :) I hope you get to both relax and get stuff done with your you-time this weekend.

    Here's to courage and banishing shame!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a vegan and then a vegetarian (and I'm not saying that it's horrible to be those things) but in my case, my health dramatically changed for the better when I started eating butter, lard and real food again. Like, changed my life, cured my chronic cavities, got rid of my colitis, kinda thing. I'm a convert. And my kids are so beautifully healthy. Go Butter. I recently read Gut and Psychology syndrome (GAPS diet) which is related to "real food" and now my psoriasis is gone!

    Sorry, sometimes I just have to rave about fat :)

    I loved the video. Seriously, how many months postpartum will it take for me to stop crying when I watch things? I started crying when I saw the recycling flash mob video. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are enjoying the running! Pretty soon you'll be out there in shorts and a t-shirt! yay!

    Oh, a tip on pussywillows. Keep the ones you find this year until they root in water - maybe you will get them to take in a spot in your yard. It worked for me a few years ago. Might be something you want to google as I'm no expert garderner, but I think you can propegate them that way. Ditch hunting is fun though, been there (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the link to the kitchen staples, I'm still reading through those!
    I'm with you on trying to let go of all that stuff we want to get done all at the same time...it's so hard and I remind myself every weekend to just sit down and relax for a bit and let some beautiful idea be just an idea or a plan for vacation.
    Hope you have a relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sink!!! I am speechless! (And covetous!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joanne MD-B4/16/2011

    Way to go on the running, Sherrie! Thanks for sharing that video, it was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherrie, just wanted to mention that I had a very hard time choosing at Yarmouth Natural which one of your soaps I would buy and bring back to Boston. After much hemming and hawing, I settled on the rosemary mint. They are all fabulous-smelling though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much, Margaret! And enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!