2.17.2011

today's thrifted finds

 See that? Right there, shining on the bowl? Sunshine! Glorious sunshine that we enjoyed for most of the day. Best of all, I took these pictures after I got home from work, and it was still bright out! Spring is almost here, friends. Isn't that bowl the nicest, softest, Spring-iest green?
If you've been around here for any amount of time at all, you know that butter is at the tippy-top of my list of favourite things. So I was tickled pink to find a butter bell after work today at Frenchy's. Isn't it adorable? It's almost as cute as my Le Creuset butter dish. One can never have too much butter around, you know. It follows that one can never have too many receptacles for said butter.

I've wanted one of these for awhile, although I don't know if I really understand the need (other than the cute and interesting factors) - I don't find that butter goes rancid when left in small quantities in the butter dish at room temperature. I can see why if you're preserving it for long periods of time - maybe that's where the whole system came from, back in the day. The idea is that you put a little bit of water in the bottom of the outer part, pack your butter into the bell part, which is inverted into the bottom part, and it makes a seal, which keeps the butter from spoiling. Pretty nifty, eh? You can see a picture of both parts here; I for some reason didn't take one. Must have been because I was so excited about the sun.

Tomorrow's Friday!

9 comments:

  1. Lucky girl. I've always meant to ask you which is your favorite Frenchy's ? I have a handmade pottery butter bell. It's so pretty I don't want to use it in case we drop and break it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the butter bell! I so want one! They are a very cool idea and I love anything old. People back in the day came up with some very ingenious ideas to keep things fresh.

    Did you know that they used to cut blocks of ice for ice boxes in the winter and store them in caves or icehouses in sawdust or straw and they would last the whole summer! I had never thought about it until I heard it on the radio one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I had heard of butter bells and was intrigued! I, like you, have never had my butter go bad in my Emile Henry butter dish, but a butter bell sounds pretty nifty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2/18/2011

    I have never hear of the butter bells, but they are such a perfect little kitchen aid. My sisters,daughters, mom and I always do a "Frenchy's Run" in the spring. What fun we have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone!

    Vickie - the best Frenchy's depends on what one is looking for. The Digby one, overlooking the water, is excellent for clothes, especially kids' ones, and books. Weymouth one is also great for kids clothes - I've found tons of good things for the boys at both of those. T-shirts - Weymouth one. 'Stuff' - Meteghan. Jeans - airport. Truthfully, I love them all for their unique reasons. :) And I think that you should use your butter bell. :)

    Alli, I did know about the ice, but not about the straw - that's incredible! Makes me want to test it out. Heh heh.

    Ingrid, I know. I like saying "I have a butter bell." It just sounds so lovely and refined. Just like me. Heh heh.

    Tanya - have a peek at the comment I left for Vickie before your next Frenchy's run! There is nothing like spending the whole day at Frenchy's. My dream day. :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am green with envy over your butter bell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post and excellent finds. I'm biding my time until April and my next Frenchy's "campaign". BTW, butter made in NS is so much better than US butter, I bring back pounds of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beeeeautiful butter bell! I'd been wanting one for awhile (especially since I make my own butter occasionally), and found a handmade one at a thrift store the other day. Yours is so much cuter though. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Lola, Margaret, and Justine! Justine, I'll bet that yours is pretty great, too - especially with homemade butter! I haven't made it in awhile, but I think I just might. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!