2.21.2011

thumbprint cookies

I bought myself a little bit of Spring at the grocery store the other day. It's certainly not the same as when they finally appear in the garden, but I'll take what I can get in February. I also try to keep the bulbs to replant in the garden - I think it's worked before, but I can't remember exactly what I did.
 So - on to the Thumbprint Cookies! I had never made them before, and decided that another vehicle for my quince jelly was required. I thought that the jelly might soften up a bit when they baked, which didn't really work out. But they were delicious. Really delicious.
The original recipe is here; I found that it was too small a batch (next time I'll triple it and freeze some dough), but that's also kind of helpful the first time you try a recipe. It's simple, quick, easy, straightforward, and delicious.

Thumbprint Cookies

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts (I used almonds)
  • 2/3 cup any flavor fruit jam
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.
  2. Separate egg, reserving egg white. Cream butter or margarine, sugar, and egg yolk.
  3. Add vanilla, flour and salt, mixing well.
  4. Shape dough into balls. Roll in egg white, then walnuts. Place on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for 5 minutes.
  5. Remove cookies from oven. With thumb, dent each cookie. Put jelly or preserves in each thumbprint. Bake for another 8 minutes. (I needed to add another 5 minutes to the last baking time.)
 Phillip thought they were pretty good, too.


Speaking of cookies, this book came in for me at the library today. I can't wait to sit down and drool over it.

3 comments:

  1. LOL. That is so stinkin cute!! My boys were the same way. Love it~

    I am trying this. Simple and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They LOOK delicious! I will be baking a batch of these soon. I have a bunch of homemade jams that would go well on a new buttery vehicle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet, sweet photos. I love to see someone enjoying a treat that much. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!