2.13.2011

honey

I have been using honey in the shower again lately to scrub my wintry face. I don't know if it's necessary for me to extol the virtues of honey, but I will, just a wee bit. It is delicious, healing, and beautiful. It is a fabulous sweetener in baked goods, smoothies, on fruit salad, or drizzled on yogourt and granola. It's purported to be antimicrobial and antioxidant, too. And bees make it. Bees! Isn't that kind of amazing?

We buy large jars of local honey, and when the bottom part of the jar crystalizes, it can be gently warmed to re-liquify it. Or you can put some in a little glass jar and keep it in the shower, where it makes a lovely softening scrub. I like to use it on my face; I massage a bit in at the beginning of the shower, and rinse it off at the end. Contrary to what you might think, it doesn't leave a sticky mess; the water rinses it right off. Try it - I think you'll be impressed!

Did I mention that I had a nutty week? So far, my weekend has countered it very well. I hope that you're having a relaxing weekend, too.

6 comments:

  1. I think I need to start using honey again...my skin is terrible this winter! Thanks for the reminder! :)

    I am glad you are having a relaxing weekend. I am looking forward to a walk in the sunshine today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, my friend Tricia from Little Eco Footprints wrote about using honey as a cleanser recently. I think I'm going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherrie,

    Do you use just plain honey or do you add a sugar scrub to it? Love the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has nothing to do with your post, but I've seen you write "liquify" before and wondered why someone as smart as you would repeatedly misspell liquefy. After a quick Google search, I found out that most people misspell it. So many, in fact, that I get more hits spelling it with an "i" than I do with an "e."

    Love,
    The Grammar Queen

    ReplyDelete
  5. M - I just use it as is when it's crystallized, but you could absolutely add in some sugar - that would be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ingrid - I am pretty smart, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!