7.08.2010

clifton's brown bread


clifton's brown bread, originally uploaded by birchbarksoap.

This is the competition for my mother-in-law's brown bread recipe. This one is from talented photographer Clifton Saulnier, a friend of ours, who brought it over when he and his sweet family came over for a meal a few weeks ago. He was gracious enough to share the recipe. He bakes his right in the bread machine, on the sweet bread setting. I chose to do the dough in the machine, let it rise in a regular pan (it fits so much better in the toaster), and bake it at 350 for about 45 minutes. It's heavenly with my favourite food - butter.

This loaf is a little bit sweeter and more moist than my mother-in-law's brown bread recipe, so choose what you will depending on your preference. Why I've been turning the oven on in this insane heat, I don't know. I had the crockpot on today and we had a delicious bean stew kind of thing. You would think that it's February. Enjoy!

Clifton's Brown Bread

1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup boiling water mix w/ oatmeal and let cool

2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup warm water
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup molasses
3 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp yeast

1 comment:

  1. This is my recipe, too :) It's from the Bluenose Cookbook

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!