1.19.2010

snow days and reading

Lots of snow here has made for a couple of snow days, for which I am always thankful. I just finished reading Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures, by Vincent Lam, which was a captivating read. I finished it in no more than three days and picked it up at every opportunity, and that equals a high recommendation from me. I started Zeitoun yesterday, and so far, it's also very good. It's a non-fiction account of one family's experience in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina, and I think that I will probably learn a lot from it. Given the current situation in Haiti, I'm sure there will be many parallels.

I'm venturing out to do a few necessary errands today, and have a couple of 'pretty' books to pick up at the library that I've read about on other blogs, including Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life, and The French Inspired Home (a bit flouffier than I usually go for, but I'm thinking that there may be some inspiration lurking there). Do you have any other recommendations? As I'm getting bigger and bigger (31 weeks pregnant this week) I'm enjoying sitting down and reading very much when I have the chance. And I won't have much longer until there's a newborn in the house and I fall asleep every time I sit down!

Hope you're having a good week!

3 comments:

  1. love your book tips!
    hope you are feeling comfortable during these last weeks before you meet your new babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same with Bloodletting - and I read it while very pregnant as well. I just finished reading Galore by Michael Crummey, and would highly recommend it. It was another one I couldn't put down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I just picked up "The French Inspired Home" yesterday from the library! It's a beautiful book. So is Kaari Meng other book "Home Sewn." It's particularly lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!