9.08.2012

tomatoes

I bought these little beauties last weekend at the market. They disappeared quickly, but not before I took their picture. Lovely, aren't they?

Phillip is the one in this house who loves tomatoes the most. He would happily eat a pint all by himself, three times a day. Every day for the rest of his life. I bought some more at this morning's market to pack in his lunches this week.

In case you have a pile of tomatoes staring you down and no plans for their fate, there are all kinds of delicious things you can do with them. Of course, there's the soup I posted earlier this week. You can make them into fresh salsa, or cooked, to can. (We love the tomato salsa recipe in Marisa's book.) You can slow roast them, dehydrate them, or make them into pasta or pizza sauce and freeze for later. If all else fails, and you have a pile on your hands that you just can't handle right this minute, you can toss them into the freezer whole, washed and stemmed. Thaw them (the skin will slide right off) and use in soups, sauces, or whatever other deliciousness you can come up with all winter long.

I've been thinking a lot about food lately, with the advent of the new school year and lunches to pack. Adam's also become a bit more restricted in what he can eat, so we're trying to settle into a system that works for us, where the boys and I can eat the foods that we want, and Adam can have what he can, without a ridiculous amount of extra work. Thomas is (theoretically) napping right now (he's actually talking to himself in his crib) while Adam and Phillip are out, so I think I might sit down with some cookbooks for a few minutes and make some plans. (And hopefully he'll drift off.)

*On another note, my first week back at work was great. It's craaaaazy busy, and I have soooo many things to do, but I love it. I am a lucky lady.

3 comments:

  1. You manage to turn everything into art...so beautiful! We have an abundance of cherry and grape tomatoes as usual (the big ones, not so much), but we've mainly dehydrated them rather than eat them. We love sundried tomatoes in pasta and salads and hummus and so on. :)

    Glad your first week at work was great. Good luck with finding a food system that works for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Teresa! You're so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Thomas was so pitiful.... but very glad Phillip liked his first day. All these are major moments in a mom's life that she will remember. I recall both Matthew's and Angela's. I find most mom's do :-)

    I miss you and a ladies night out must happen soon. It's fall, it's lovely weather and we simply must get together. It's been far too long!

    Oh don't forget the Bath Bomb workshop at the Ladies Spa on the 22 from 3:00 -3:45. If I don't see you before I'll see you then!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!