6.22.2014

pinch me - the bees have arrived!

The bees have arrived! It hardly seems real. I've been dreaming of this for years. And now it's really happening!

We installed them on Friday at the new old house, and they appear to be happy and healthy. Above is the nuc box that each hive came in. Each has four frames and many, many sweet little honeybees. The drive home was lovely - a gentle humming in the back of the car that smelled amazing. (And yes, I drove a little bit extra carefully.) Somehow, honeybees manage to make the combined scent of honey and beeswax into something even more rich and lovely than either thing individually. I wish I could describe it accurately. On Friday, we moved them into the boxes that we had ready, where they will settle in, spread out, and keep building. The boys were fascinated, especially Thomas, who pressed his face in as close as he could get for a good look. They're just the most beautiful little creatures. We're planning our move for July, so after that, if you need me, you'll find me sitting and watching their comings and goings.

I am over the moon - so excited to add another layer of life to our new old house!












6 comments:

  1. Yay!! Super yay!! I know exactly how you feel - and I love the smell of bees. I really missed it when the hives were empty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6/23/2014

    Congratulations! How exciting and beautiful. I love the family bee suits and I love how you are diving right in on your new property. I can't wait to see what you do with all the beeswax and honey. I hope to visit your farm stand in the future? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating! But I will keep away because I do not get along well with insects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6/25/2014

    Sweet!
    -Carol S-B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, how exciting! Hope everything will go well with this new venture, how wonderful to have your own honey and wax!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!