6.06.2014

all you need is less

Sorry if this post appeared twice in your blog feed - my mistake!

I'm popping in with another little book review (the last one for now!) that I think you might enjoy if you're new to this whole natural living business and are perhaps overwhelmed and want one book as a go-to resource. It's called All You Need Is Less: The Eco-friendly Guide to Guilt-Free Green Living and Stress-Free Simplicity by Madeleine Somerville, a fellow Canadian from the other coast.
It's intended for "novice hippies", a term which I love, and which fits perfectly with the book. It's very hands-on and instructional, and includes sections on gardening, lifestyle, body, and home, with recipes for things like toothpaste, deodorant, cleaners, and general information about living more simply. 

If you're already fermenting kefir and making your own soap and shopping second-hand, this might have a lot of information that you already know (library!). But if you're just starting on this whole journey of living a more intentional life with less of an impact on the planet, it's got plenty of good information, recipes, and how-tos. 

My favourite part of the book is Madeleine's description of natural.
 "Natural is a bit worn and lived-in. It is welcoming and comfortable like the crinkles around a person's eyes that hint at a lifetime of happiness. Natural is forgiving and warm, and shouldn't be just another thing to feel bad about. If I had the power, I'd steer this whole eco-friendly boat away from the guilt and the one-upping and back to that warm space, back to that sense of feeling good by doing good." (p 165)

Madeleine blogs at Sweet Madeleine (I love this post from earlier in the week; it captures parenting little ones beautifully,) and you can read more about the book here.

Disclaimer: I was provided with a complimentary copy of the book to review; all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!