10.18.2007

thoughts on america

Since this past weekend was my first time in the United States of America, I have some thoughts to share.

On the Imperial system: Ick. And it doesn't make any sense.

On moose: there really are moose in Maine. We saw one on the side of the highway on our way back, and were very glad that it stayed on the shoulder.

On construction: road signs are a much brighter orange.

On trees in Maine: Evergreens in Maine look like they were all trimmed as Christmas trees. They're beautiful and straight and evenly bushy, unlike their scraggly counterparts in Nova Scotia. I enjoyed them very much, and drove Adam crazy with all of my exclamations about how lovely the evergreens were. And cedars along the side of the highway were surprising. The rest of the trees were changing colour and were stunning. They made the drive even more enjoyable.

On WalMart Super Centers: There is one immediately next door to my sister's apartment, and I needed to scoot in to pick up a few items. There is a beer department, close to the baby department, and the milk. I found that odd. And the store was a mess! Maybe it's because I was there at 7:30 on a Sunday morning, but regardless. Some stuff really is significantly cheaper there.

On LL Bean's Bangor outlet store: Mmmmmmmmmm.

On State police cars in Maine: they're powder blue.

On Americans encountered in various places: generally extremely friendly, although a bit more forward than Canadians. The exception was the employees at various gas stations and stores: many were surly. Surly with an American accent. (Speaking of which, I found it very odd to be identified as the one with the accent.) Not all of course, and especially not those at LL Bean. They were great.

On the whole: we had a lovely trip and I definitely enjoyed my time. We'll head back for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!