3.30.2008

grant bread from 'a handmade life'


Grant Bread
from A Handmade Life by Wm. S. Coperthwaite
Makes one loaf
Time: one hour, 15 minutes total

1/2 ounce yeast (4 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast)
1 tsp honey
13 ounces water at body temperature
1 pound whole wheat flour

Mix yeast and honey in 1/2 cup of the warm water, then let sit to froth for ten minutes. Pour the yeasty mix into the flour and add the remaining water. Mix by hand for several minutes, working from the sides of the bowl to the middle, until the dough feels elastic and leaves the sides of the bowl clean. Put the dough in a tin, covered with a damp cloth, and place in a warm place for twenty minutes or so, allowing the dough to rise by about a third or until it is an inch from the top of the tin. Bake the bread in the tin at 450 for 35-40 minutes.

My notes: I used a mix of flours I had on hand, mostly whole wheat, and I baked the bread blob on a cookie sheet. It took much less time at 450 - maybe 20 minutes, perhaps even less. I also dusted it with a bit of flour before baking. Absolutely simple and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!