8.04.2009

recipe-a-week #25: classic lemonade


What happened? August is here, and it totally snuck up on me. The sun has finally decided to grace us with is presence, so we've been outside and at the beach and doing things like making homemade lemonade and picking beans and raspberries in the garden. And I haven't been taking any pictures!

You know how some things aren't worth the pain of making from scratch? This completely is - it's not at all like any lemonade I have ever tasted. It's amazing. I bought a bag of 10 lemons for $2.99 last week, and decided that this was to be their fate.

I looked up Martha's Classic Lemonade recipe in this book, halved it, and whipped it up. As Ingrid says, holy yum.

Classic Lemonade
Fresh lemonade seems to be just the thing for picnics or barbecues, and making it couldn't be simpler. This perennial favorite requires just 3 ingredients: lemon juice, sugar, and water. This means it won't take much time away from a leisurely summer afternoon to mix a batch. To make 2 quarts, pour 3 cups of fresh lemon juice (from about 20 lemons) through a fine sieve into a pitcher. Add 2 cups of superfine sugar, and stir until it has dissolved. Stir in 4 cups of water and some ice, and then garnish with lemon slices.

That's it! I popped in some fresh raspberries from the garden and mashed them up a bit. Yum. I also froze some until it was slushy for a yummy treat last night. Holy yum.

4 comments:

  1. Yum. I love lemonade in the summer. I make mine the exact same way but I also add fresh crushed ginger and boil the concentrate a few minutes than add the water - Homemade lemon ginger drink. Recipe is from my yoga instructor which she brought back from India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy yum indeed. I wish my body would stop thinking lemons are made of arsenic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, that looks delish. Some lemonade, a deck chair, the backyard...sounds good to me! Glad to hear the sun has finally made its way out to you! (It feels just like September here. I'm about ready to go pencil-and-notebook shopping.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8/08/2009

    I totally missed your blog make-over...how did that happen?? Guess I fell asleep at the blog wheel. Love the header photo!

    Guess I need to keep reading to see if Frenchy's Finds is defunct...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!