8.07.2007

perplexing poppies


A whole bunch of poppies have popped up in the garden, and I'm not sure where they came from. I planted some standard red poppies, which there's no sign of, but this one, a purple one, and a tiny ornamental one appeared (those two lost their petals before I took pictures). Wherever they came from, they're welcome!

Also in garden news, I was eating my breakfast yesterday, and a ruby throated hummingbird appeared outside the window and stayed for several minutes, feeding at the nasturtiums. For me, hummingbirds are like amaryllis bulbs at Christmas. Putting out hummingbird feeders and having hummingbirds arrive is supposed to be a foolproof sort of thing. Growing amaryllis bulbs which are guaranteed to bloom is also supposed to be foolproof. Neither of those things seem to work for me, although much more complicated things do. Alas, at least I had one hummingbird sighting and some surprise poppies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!