6.07.2007

baby brain

Adam brought me this tulip from our garden when I was admitted to the hospital. It made everything even better!
The Glowworm.
Baby G's state right now.

Good grief, my brain is functioning at an astonishingly feeble level. I did manage to sleep for a few hours more than usual last night, and realized that in the most recent post I wrote 'heretofore' when I meant 'hereafter', and thought that was so funny that I would leave it there to remind myself of my state of mind. I know things will only get better, as they have been so far.

The birth story in a very small nutshell:
Last Wednesday, Adam and I went to my regularly scheduled prenatal clinic appointment. My blood pressure was still high, and when I showed the doctor the readings I had taken at home, she frowned and said that she wanted the OB to see me that day. So I went in to an assessment room where they monitored Phillip and my blood pressure and other vitals. The OB came to see me and said that since I was 39 weeks and the baby was ready for the world, they wanted to induce me because my blood pressure wasn't good for either me or baby G. We agreed, I was admitted, Adam scurried home to pick up the stuff we would need, we called our families to let them know, and were hoping to have a baby on Thursday. I was given three 'gels' to induce labour. Well, the labour part (contractions) was definitely experienced (wow, it's amazing and intense and I think I would have died without using breathing techniques) but by Saturday morning (phew, I was tired!) nothing had changed as far as things opening up for a baby to get through, and there was no reason to believe that they would. So on Saturday afternoon, I had a c-section (my first ever surgical procedure - pretty big one!) and Phillip arrived, yay! It's kind of funny, because anyone who knows me knows how much I was looking forward to doing things as naturally as possible, avoiding any drugs, etc. And I ended up having the most 'medical' birth ever. The reason we were in hospital for so long was because I lost a lot of blood and am pretty weak (it won't really be back to normal levels for about a month) and my blood pressure is still high (which should settle down soon). My incision is pretty painful and I can't do any lifting, driving, or rolling over and getting out of bed easily (one of the things I was most looking forward to after pregnancy!) But all in all, I'm fine, Phillip's fine, and we're one happy family! Adam has been beyond amazing through the whole thing, and I really could not possibly put into words how thankful I am for him. He's the most amazing dad (and husband) ever.

I wasn't going to post baby G's name, but changed my mind. He's Phillip the One-Eyed Hobo King (when I get the chance, I'll try to capture some of his funny one-eyed glares). OK, his real name is Phillip Benjamin Graham. Otherwise known as 'Glowworm' (what he looks like when swaddled), or 'squawker'. He's amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!