1.15.2007

room with a view

The view from all of our east-facing windows looks like this this afternoon. If it were up to me, we would have many, many more stormy days in the winter. I love a good storm! Elementary students went home at 11, and the rest at 12 today, so I've been at home this afternoon, puttering away at a few different things. I'm crossing my fingers that this freezing rain will stick around through tomorrow morning and school will be cancelled tomorrow (not because I don't like my job, I just like snow days better), but since it's supposed to be +5 by morning, I think my chances are slim. I'm thankful for the half day, though!

One of the things I've been puttering with is a spreadsheet of things we need for baby. (Google spreadsheets is great! I can see a lot more (organized) lists in my future.) I've tried to keep it to a minimum - like with most things, you can go overboard with extras that aren't necessary. I'm trying to stick to pretty necessary things, and hopefully we can get some of them second hand or as gifts. I've also come up with a few storage solutions which I think will work in the tiny room that is to be the nursery. There's no closet, so that makes things a bit trickier, but definitely manageable. Now I'm really excited to get the room ready!

Google Desktop is another thing I've had fun with lately. It's one of those computer-y things that I'm sure my husband finds annoying and silly, but I've had fun with it. I especially love my little weather globe that is snowing when it's snowing, raining when it's raining, etc.

Diapers. Ah, diapers. If only babies didn't have to poop. I think we will do primarily cloth diapering, with some supplemental disposable diapering when we're not at home. I've been looking at a terrific Nova Scotia company called Valley Cloth Diapers who have lots of info and diaper selection on their site. It's hard to sort out exactly what works out to be the best for both price and sensible-ness. I think the easiest diapers are these adorable Kushies which you don't need covers for and which anyone can use without practice (especially good for babysitting grandparents and the like.) But prefolds are cheaper, even though you need covers. This is all new lingo for me, I'm just sounding like I know what I'm talking about. I just love the idea that I'm using the same diapers over and over and if we have more babies, they can use them, too. I'm much more comfortable with that choice than all disposables, all the time. Seventh Generation has some better alternatives to regular disposable diapers which are still thrown away but don't use many of the crazy chemicals in mainstream disposables. So much to think about!

Enough babbling for now. There will definitely be a post tomorrow with the ultrasound picture of our beautiful baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!